August 2014

Your best natural lashes

Wearing false lashes can look so glamorous and elevate your makeup look instantly. However, not everyone has the time or talent to navigate those fluttery little things on an everyday basis. If you can rock false lashes daily, I give you kudos. If you don't, then I invite you to try some of our great alternatives to false lashes. You may be surprised at what your natural lashes are capable of. So much thought and hard work goes into constructing a great mascara: creating the perfect brush, formula, color, etc. These Planet Beauty favorites are always in high demand. Is yours on the list?

1. Too Faced's Better Than Sex Mascara: Since its launch, this mascara has sold out more than twice and is guaranteed to sell out again. It's hourglass shape allows you to get each lash, plumping up their volume for intense, gorgeous eyes. Get a tube or two before the holidays, because this mascara won't last on our shelves.

2. jane iredale Longest Lash Thickening and Lengthening Mascara: jane's mascara not only thickens, but lengthens your lashes for a high impact look. A proprietary blend of seaweed lipids help condition and protect lashes, as well. A plus side to this mascara is that it comes in a squeezable tube that allows you to use this mascara as an eyeliner, too. It's also filled with 50% more product than other brands. For maximum results, pair this mascara up with jane's Lash Conditioner.

Makeup Tips for Beginners

If you've never worn a lot of makeup and you're just starting, typing in makeup under Youtube and Pinterest search engines is going to be very overwhelming. There are so many different kinds of products to choose from that you may want to give up on your search before it begins. Even though I've worked in the beauty industry for almost eight years, I'm still learning new things. So, if this whole world is a little new to you, here are some tips to save you headaches and money.

Foundation or BB Cream? When it comes to makeup, a lot of women automatically assume they need a foundation. The best thing to consider when shopping for makeup is what kind of coverage you really want or need. Not everyone needs a heavy duty foundation and some people's skin actually looks better with less makeup. You also want to consider the kind of time you have to apply makeup. If you're looking to save time, a BB cream might be the quicker alternative to foundation, which can sometimes require a little extra time blending. While we're on the subject of blending, consider the kind of beauty tools you'll want to work with and ask your beauty advisor for tips and tricks. Another tip? Be prepared to try some makeup on your face. It's the best way to see how a product looks and feels.

Labor Day Weekend Must-Haves

Labor Day weekend is just a few days away, marking the beginning to the official end of summer. Whether you decide to flock to the beach or throw a BBQ/pool party from the comfort of your home, Planet Beauty has your must-haves for a fabulous Labor Day weekend.

Pack on the SPF: Summer might be ending, but wearing SPF should be a year-round deal. Sun Bum's Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion is the perfect family sunscreen. It has a minimal scent, offers both UVA/UVB protection and moisturizes skin with anti-aging Vitamin E. If you need a great sunscreen for your face, pick up a tube of Coola Face SPF 30 in Matte Finish with Cucumber. The ideal sunscreen to wear with or without makeup, this lotion is infused with Shea Butter and Borage Seed Oil for moisture and cucumber extract to cool and balance your skin.

Get one last tan in: If you love sunbathing, this will be a wonderful weekend to get one last sun soak before summer ends. Hampton Sun SPF 4 Sun Tanning Oil is formulated for our sun-loving beach bunnies who are not prone to burning, since it has the minimal amount of SPF. Enjoy a luxurious and safe sunbathing experience by apply this oil before laying out. Vitamin E, Walnut Oil and Aloe Vera keep your skin sensationally soft and moisturized. As with any sunbathing, make sure you have a watch handy, so you don't overdo it. If you need a safer, no-sun alternative, get one last tan with St. Tropez Self-Tan Dark Mousse. You'll still look fabulously tan without any of the risk of sunburn.

New from Murad Resurgence

Attention all Murad-loving fans! Dr. Murad has introduced two new products in the Resurgence line that are bound to become favorites among Murad loyalists. For years, Murad's Resurgence line has pleased customers with their range of hydrating and anti-aging products for anyone looking to combat sagging, dryness, loss of elastin and wrinkles. 

Dr. Murad understands the importance of treatments to combat specific skin concerns and that's why his treatments are always well-received among his skincare devotees. The new Intensive Age-Diffusing Serum is an enhanced version of the original Age-Diffusing Serum that won't disappoint. This new and improved formula is enhanced with an extract from the rose of Jericho plant. The Jericho plant is classified under Resurrection plants for its ability to survive dehydration and revive itself after being watered. Adding this integral ingredient helps fight dehydration in skin caused by aging. Phytoestrogens then help improve damaged elastin in the skin, helping restore suppleness and firmness. Youth-building peptide Palmitoyl Tripeptide-37 works to reverse visible signs of aging and works to decrease the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Used both day and night, your skin is going to look and feel so much better within 2 weeks of use. 

Soothing Treatments to the Rescue

Experiencing face sensitivity can be quite uncomfortable to deal with. Your skin can suddenly feel extremely warm to the touch, itchy and just downright painful. Whether you were born with naturally sensitive skin or have recently experienced sensitized skin due to sun damage or facial treatments, it's important to use a soothing treatment. Using a treatment can help calm your skin and relieve it from redness and pain. The next time you're in need of a serious soothing treatment, consider some of our customer favorites.

Dermalogica's Ultra-Calming Serum Concentrate: Part of a an entire system dedicated to sensitive and sensitized skin, this serum helps calm stressed, reactive skin with collagen-stimulating peptides that help skin's tolerance to future irritation. Their exclusive UltraCalming Complex is made up of Oat and botanical active ingredients that work to fight inflammation that causes sensitivity. It also helps minimize discomfort caused by burning and itching. Oil of Evening Primrose, Avocado and Sunflower Seed Extracts protect skin against future sensitivity by restoring the skin's natural lipid barrier. 

Back-To-School Beauty Must-Haves

It's back-to-school time, which means long hours at the library and endless cups of coffee to get you through classes without falling asleep. It can be a hectic time, and let's be honest--hitting the snooze button is a lot easier than getting up to style your hair. However, just because school's a priority again doesn't mean you can't look fresh and fabulous as you make your way to finals season. If you're in need of some no-fuss beauty tips, check out my back-to-school must-haves. 

1. No-fuss foundation: If you still want your skin to look flawless, but don't have a lot of time to apply it, I suggest going for light foundation that blends seamlessly into your skin. bareMinerals foundation is always a winner because even the lightest application adds a flattering glow. Another great option is Gorgeous Cosmetic's Base Perfect Liquid foundation. It's oil free and contains antioxidant Vitamins A and E for a beautiful, silky finish. For very minimal coverage and a load of skincare benefits, consider Dr. Perricone's No Foundation Foundation. 

2. Dry Shampoo: Let's face it, when you have an early morning class, shampooing your hair is the last thing on your mind. Plus, any extra time you can spend sleeping is always a plus. A good dry shampoo will refresh your hair, remove excess oils and give you some volume and texture for an easy, ready to go style. Pureology's Fresh Approach Dry Shampoo has a wonderful scent, absorbs oils and leaves a nice satin finish. You can follow it up with Fresh Approach Dry Condition to help eliminate static and frizz.

Why Layrite Does It Right

The revival of the traditional barber shop has taken over Southern California and Layrite's been on the forefront of this very exciting trend. More and more guys seem to be ditching baseball caps and gels for  polished haircuts and pomade for styling. Layrite continues to be the #1 selling pomade at Planet Beauty and has become synonymous with stylish. My Massachusetts-born boyfriend recently became a Layrite convert, ditching his worn-out Sox hat for a professional, debonair style. Within a month of trying it, he was already asking me to get him more. I decided to get in touch with Vice President Mike Clem so I could find out first-hand what makes Layrite the go-to pomade for men. 

What separates Layrite from other pomade companies?

Many things - most importantly, Layrite was started by a barber, with barbers and hair professionals in mind. All of Layrite Grooming Products are water-based; they are fully removable from the hair by simply rinsing with water.  This allows your customers to come to the salon/barber shop with clean hair that is ready to to be cut and styled. Another REAL distinguishing factor is that all of our products have VERY high performance.  What most brands call "high hold" we consider to be a lighter hold.  Because of this high level of performance, you can style the hair with slightly damp hair, which would reduce performance with most brands. However, Layrite still maintains a high level of performance.

What do you feel has been Layrite's key to success?

Happy National Brazilian Blowout Day!

August 21st is National Brazilian Blowout Day and I invite you to book your touch-up appointments and try one of the many Brazilian Blowout products you may not be using yet. There is so much love for the original shampoo, conditioner, smoothing serum, straightening balm and masque, but Brazilian Blowout has some other wonderful products that are bound to take your style from average to amazing. 

While the Brazilian Blowout treatment is all about eliminating frizz, speeding up daily styling and adding a high dose of incredible shine, there's no reason why you can't have all those benefits AND beautiful, bouncy hair. If you're one of our Brazilian Blowout clients with fine to normal hair, you have to try their Volume Shampoo and Conditioner. It's been out for a while now, and contrary to popular belief about volumizing shampoos, this one does not dry your hair out. Like the original, the Volume Shampoo locks in moisture, but doesn't weigh hair down. It also helps thicken fine, limp hair for voluptuous body. 

For extra volume, try the Instant Volume Thermal Root Boost on wet hair and Instant Volume Body Boost Powder on dry hair. If you're looking for some added texture, one of my personal favorite products is the Acai Restorative Sculpt and Define Polish. If you love extra shine, spray the Acai Shine and Shield for maximum results.  For those of you looking for those sexy beach waves, this is a great way to add some weightless texture. If you want a matte finish, then I suggest trying the Acai Flexible Molding Clay Wax. 

Trends That Keep On Trending

Some beauty trends last only weeks, while others seem to stick around for months. With fall right around the corner, I thought I'd share some of the spring/summer trends that will be sticking around for a little while longer. Some of your favorites might be on the list.

Bold Brows: It's great to see women embracing their natural brows and opting for thicker, fuller brows. Not since the 90's have we seen so many celebrities and women flaunting their brows a la Brooke Shields. So, if you still haven't mastered the art of properly shading and shaping your brows, don't worry. You still have plenty of time to learn. Anastasia Beverly Hills has a wide range of products and tools to help you manage your ideal brows. If you need a little more guidance, check out one of our many brow events

Modern French Manicures: The twist on the classic French manicure is here to stay. From scallops to contrasting colors, there are so many different ways you can create a unique and gorgeous french manicure. This trend is all about having fun, while still paying homage to a classic go-to nail look. If you're still on the fence about whether or not you can pull it off, I suggest you just go for it. Rules were meant to be broken and this is one rule we love breaking. Put down that white polish and check out some of Essie's fun designs for inspiration.

Spruce Up Your Skin Care Regimen

When it comes to our face, we all want that gorgeous glow. While some people are born with great genes and amazing skin, most of us struggle with day to day to insecurities and finding the right balance of products. I wish I could tell you that there was a miracle product out there that would solve all your problems, but I can't. The truth is, it takes work to have great skin. You can wash and moisturize diligently, but if you're still not getting results, maybe it's time to spruce up your routine. 

Cleanse differently: Washing your face with your hands is quickly becoming a thing of the past. By now, I'm sure you've all seen or heard of Clarisonic. Day after day, I have women come into the store and ask me questions about it, but many still walk away feeling skeptical. If you're feeling like your skin is never really clean, then maybe it's time to take the plunge. As someone who wears foundation on a daily basis, I don't know what I would do without mine. Not only does Clarisonic help eliminate more pollutants from the skin than regular hand-cleansing, but it also gently exfoliates away dead skin, making room for new, beautiful skin and improved absorption of treatments and moisturizers. It's time to either invest in one or put it on your Christmas list. Your skin will thank you.