November 2016

A bright twist on Pumpkin Spice Makeup!

Those of us who love the fall season know how quickly it can seem to pass, especially with the early chatter of Christmas and winter right after Halloween. Those of us who love fall wait for it patiently every year, anticipating that slight, cool breeze that begins to indicate the end of summer. The fall season isn’t something to be rushed, but rather, cherished and savored. It’s easy to get caught up in the haste of the holidays, but we’re not quite ready to quit ordering our pumpkin spice lattes and burning our pumpkin spice candles. Nothing captures the essence of fall quite like pumpkin spice. It’s everywhere these days, from hand sanitizer to body lotions and air fresheners for your car. Between carving pumpkins and the pumpkin pie we devour on Thanksgiving, the pumpkin is the unofficial symbol of fall. In honor of the three weeks left of this wonderful season, we thought we’d do our own fun take on pumpkin spice-inspired makeup! 

There are so many ways you can show your love for all things pumpkin spice through makeup! Whether you wear a pumpkin-colored lippy or go all pumpkin with your eye shadow, there are plenty of great makeup products to make you look fabulous. We teamed up with TV Personality and Style & Beauty Expert Emily Loftiss from Loftiss Says to create a fun and simple pumpkin-spice look.  

EmilyLoftiss.jpg

Join Us for Our Annual Charity Event Benefiting CHOC Children's Hospital

It’s that time of the year again! We’ve officially entered the season of giving and goodwill! The holidays are always the perfect time to give back to those in need. Every year, we host a charity event to help strengthen our community and support a good cause. This year, the contributions of our annual charity event will benefit CHOC Children’s Hospital of Orange County.

Our event will be held on Thursday, December 8th 2016 at our newly-remodeled Planet Beauty location in Dana Point, CA from 6-8 PM. The evening will include yummy bites, delicious sips and sweet treats provided by The Habit Burger Grill and Donut Junkie! Everyone in attendance will receive a gift bag (valued at $300). Sun Bum will also be present with their party van offering a fun giveaway to our guests.

In addition to complimentary food and beverages, we will have beauty stations offering mini touch-ups and mini services for our attendees. The newly-remodeled boutique is now home to The Studio, which is a lush makeup studio adjacent to the regular shop. The Studio is beautifully decorated in Planet Beauty’s signature colors of pink and black, with gorgeous vanity stations and an array of makeup displays to browse and shop to your heart’s content.

Many of our esteemed vendors have been invited to join us in making this evening fun and successful, as well! They’ll be available on the sales floor offering beauty demos and personalized consultations.

AMAs Beauty Looks You Can Wear Every Day!

As a longtime beauty junkie, I’ve always looked forward to every award show on TV. I can’t help it. I love seeing all my favorite celebrities come together for a fun night of music, TV or film. I love the special performances. If someone I like wins an award and gives an acceptance speech, I get a little emotional. It’s all so magical. I’m not going to lie though, when it comes to award shows, my favorite part has and will always be the Red Carpet.

This past Sunday, the American Music Awards took place and while I normally look forward to the edgier beauty choices that music award shows tend to offer, this year, I found some of the subtler beauty looks more appealing. Sure, edgy beauty can be fun for a weekend night, but it’s also nice to find some inspiration you can try Monday through Friday. While there were so many great beauty looks from Sunday night, three ladies balanced their beauty looks perfectly: Hailee Steinfeld, Olivia Munn and Gigi Hadid.

7 Beauty Products We're Grateful For!

Thanksgiving is only a few days away and it’s the perfect week to reflect on all the things we’re thankful for. It goes without saying that we’re thankful for all the important, big things like family, friends, our jobs, health, etc. In the spirit of Thanksgiving this Thursday, we’re rounding up beauty products we’re thankful for and can’t live without! Now, I know there are so many different products to choose from, so these are just a few of many.

1. NuFace Trinity: This award-winning toning device has completely changed the skincare game with anti-aging solutions and beauty tools. For years, surgery seemed like the only option for anyone looking for a significant change in their skin. Thanks to the microcurrent technology in the NuFace device, you can achieve noticeable results from home without any downtime. The NuFace works to improve the facial contours while reducing the appearance of wrinkles, giving the skin a desired, youthful appearance. FDA-Cleared and clinically-tested, we are thankful for this amazing beauty tool!

NuFace.jpg

The Liquid Lipstick Collection You'll Want This Holiday Season!

The liquid lipstick trend came into our lives with full force and unlike other beauty trends, this one doesn’t seem to have an expiration date coming up any time soon. If you spend any time at all on Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat, you’ll be inundated with close-up photos of perfect matte lips and it should come as no surprise that this trend has become the unofficial go-to lip of the year. It’s a trend that has consistently shown up on the runways and has been popularized by some of social media’s biggest makeup artists, bloggers and social media influencers. It’s become such a hot beauty trend that makeup artists and influencers have branched out with their own cosmetic line of liquid lipsticks. (We're looking at you, Kylie...)

A matte lip adds an immediate touch of sophistication and maturity like no other lip look does. It’s bold, empowering and makes a stand-alone fashion statement. While we love wearing liquid lipstick year-round, there’s a reason why we can’t stay away from this trend during the fall and winter months. On the drabbest of days, a bold lip can be the pick-me-up you need, minus the worry of your lip color feathering and sticking to your hair in windy weather. It’s also the perfect lip for holiday parties because of its long-lasting ability. 

Movember Must-Have: Layrite's New Concentrated Beard Oil

Listen up, guys! Are you complaining about that seven-day Movember itch yet? Is your beard snowing like a White Christmas? Are you growing stubble too rough for your partner to kiss? Whatever your beard-ache might be, Meaghan Grigoleit, a barber at Old Glory Barber Shop in Venice Beach, California, recommends treating your beard to Layrite’s Concentrated Beard Oil! As a barber, she’s had her share of experiences with different beard oils. “Even if you’ve tried other beard oils,” Meaghan says, “You’ve never experienced a beard oil like this before.” Not only does she swear by this oil for clients, but she’s got her own boyfriend hooked.

LayriteBlogpic (1).jpg

Layrite’s new beard oil is revolutionary. The formula is thicker, easy to apply and doesn’t feel sticky or greasy on your manly beard.  Expertly formulated by barbers, its thicker consistency delivers superb moisturization to hair and skin, leaving your beard feeling softer, healthier and well-groomed.

The thicker formula and tube design also eliminates the annoying droppers and too-tiny caps that make other beard oils messy and hard to dispense. No one has time for messy application, especially if you’re trying to minimize your grooming time. When it comes to beard oil formulations, thicker is better. Layrite breaks it down for you guys:

• Thicker means it’s easier to apply, making your beard faster to groom and easier to maintain.

Cut-Crease to Holiday Glam Eye Shadow Tutorial!

There’s a new eye shadow palette in town and it’s going to be your go-to for all your holiday looks! Rodial’s perfectly compact palette not only makes an amazing stocking stuffer, but fits perfectly in your makeup bag for on-the-go beauty. With six neutral shades ranging from matte to pearl finishes, you’ll be able to create a variety of looks without having to carry around tons of clutter. This is perfect for anyone who travels a lot and wants to minimize the amount of product in their bag.

Since we’re officially heading into the holiday season, it’s time to learn some classic eye shadow techniques that you’ll be able to easily recreate at home. We teamed up with Rodial’s national makeup artist Valerie Delgado to show you how to transition the popular cut crease to a holiday glam look. If you’ve never learned how to do an eye shadow cut crease, you’re missing out! The cut crease may look intimidating, but with a little patience, it’s a great look that makes your eyes really pop. This is one technique you're going to want to master for the holidays. 

RodialShadow.jpg

What you’ll need:

Now Trending: Glossy Lids and Dark Lips

If you’re an avid beauty magazine reader, then you’ve most likely stumbled upon beauty trends that just don’t seem practical to wear out in the real world. (I’m looking at you, graphic eye liner.) Now, I’m not entirely knocking out-of-the-box beauty trends, but some are just better than others and look chic rather than sloppy or weird. One of those beauty trends is the glossy eyelid.

A runway-look favorite, glossy lids have been flaunted by both Beyonce and Kim Kardashian on several occasions. Glossy lids bring attention to the eyes in a way that’s different from other eye makeup looks. There’s something about a glossy lid that immediately gives off a fresh, youthful appearance. It also looks effortless in a way that can’t be compared with other eye shadow trends where a lack of blending can ruin the look or make you look like a hot mess.

CandaceBlog1.jpg

We Are Loving these '90s Beauty Trends!

Like style trends, beauty trends have a way of making comebacks decades later, especially when they were popular to begin with. This year, we’ve seen the ‘90s make a huge comeback both in the fashion and beauty world. From plaid and floral skater dresses to leather and denim jackets, we’re feeling quite nostalgic for the ‘90s this season. Now, if you’re someone who completely embraces comebacks, then feel free to indulge in those Doc Martens and flannel skirts you bought at the thrift shop and still haven’t worn. If you prefer to pay homage to the ‘90s in a subtler way, then check out our 3 easy steps to creating a ‘90s vibe without going overboard. 

If you’re not fond of plaid prints or clunky boots but love wearing accessories, chokers are the IT accessory of the season! One of the best things about chokers is that they come in so many varieties of colors, designs and materials. You can wear them alone or layer them and the best part is you can easily dress them up or down, depending on the occasion. Planet Beauty now carries l’eminence accessories at some of our locations, so you can find a cute choker while you shop for the latest eyeshadow palette. 

90sblogpic.jpg

The Classic Beauty Look That Will Never Go Out of Style

Some beauty trends come and go with the changing seasons, while others become permanent fixtures in our everyday beauty catalogs. These timeless trends always come in handy when you want to look your absolute best but don’t feel like getting adventurous. As we head into the holiday season, your calendar is going to quickly fill up with holiday parties and possibly, work events. Before you pull out that red lipstick that’s been sitting in your bag since last December, consider one of our favorite classic looks for the holiday season: Sleek hair, smoky eyes and nude lips. This look will not only make you look polished, but it will spare you the discomfort of wearing that dreaded red lipstick you don’t even love.