Achieving healthy-looking skin is is a full-time job and what you do at night can really make a difference in how your skin looks and feels. If one of your beauty resolutions is to take better care of your skin, then follow our nighttime rituals for beautiful and healthy skin.
1. Remove your makeup thoroughly: Going to bed without taking your makeup off is a big no-no, so if you want to maintain healthy skin, be disciplined with this important skincare step. Make sure you thoroughly remove your makeup, too. Leaving traces behind can clog your pores and cause unwanted breakouts. Dermalogica's Precleanse will quickly dissolve your makeup and prep your skin for cleansing. Olive, Kukui and Apricot oils breakdown your face and eye makeup, leaving your skin refreshed and ready for the second cleanse.
2. Boost cleansing with a skincare tool: Make your cleansing ritual more effective by giving your hands a break and letting a skincare device do the work. Both Clarisonic and Foreo LUNA offer your skin amazing cleansing benefits that will leave your skin glowing after each use.
3. Leave blemishes and pimples alone: When it comes to picking, the struggle is real. Experiencing a breakout is never fun, but you should always practice restraint when it comes to touching and poking at your face. Attempting to pop a pimple will only spread the bacteria and potentially leave a scar after. Kate Somerville's EradiKate Acne Treatment is great to use when skin starts flaring up. Formulated with Sulphur and Alpha Hydroxy Acids, this treatment will help keep your skin clear and free from imperfections.
Photo Credit: Clarisonic via Facebook
4. Add retinol to your nightly routine: Keep your skin looking young and smooth with this must-have ingredient for night. Retinol not only helps your skin with cellular turnover but can help maximize collagen production while minimizing dark spots and scars. Peter Thomas Roth's Retinol Fusion PM contains encapsulated retinol and vitamins C and E for a potent, antiaging treatment that works to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
5. Use a different moisturizer for night: Typically you'll want to use a light moisturizer with SPF during the day. At night, your skin has different needs and can benefit greatly from using a moisturizer designed to moisturize and repair your skin. Murad's Age Reform Perfecting Night Cream helps keep your skin hydrated at night, while restoring its appearance. A blend of Evening Primrose and Borage Seed Oils replenish your skin's moisture while antioxidants target free radicals and combat the visible signs of aging.
6. Exfoliate 1-3 times a week: Exfoliating a few times a week will not only help you get rid of dead skin, but will aid in cellular turnover and brighten up your skin for a healthy glow. For a quick exfoliation, the Radical Skincare Age-Defying Exfoliating Pads are great to have handy. With Alpha and Beta hydroxy acids, these hard-working pads help promote cell turnover while, firming and tightening your skin. Pores and lines on the face are reduced and skin is left soft and hydrated. Chamomile makes it safe to use on sensitive skin types, as well.
7. Get your Zzz's: Sleep deprivation isn't just bad for your mental health. It can wreak havoc on your skin, as well. Draw a bath or drink some chamomile tea to prepare yourself for a good night's sleep. Getting the rest your body needs will help with under eye circles, puffiness and inflammation.
Liz Cabrera is a skin care enthusiast who has worked at Planet Beauty for 10 years. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing from the University of California, Long Beach. She has a love for film, jazz and the Humor boards on Pinterest.