The days are warming up and it's that time of the year for showing off a little extra skin. If you're not quite ready for shorts and sandals season, here are some tips on getting your skin spring and summer ready.
1. Give your skin a good scrubbin’: The first step toward soft and supple skin is getting rid of dry, rough patches with an exfoliating product. Scrubbing away dead skin not only allows your other body products (oils, lotions and balms) to work better, but you’ll also get a closer shave on your legs. One of our favorite scrubs is Caudalie’s Crushed Cabernet Scrub. A natural and nut-free scrub, a blend of invigorating oils awakens your senses and leaves your skin irresistibly soft.
2. Slather on some oil: Get a natural-looking glow by using a body oil right after your shower or bath. L’occitane’s Almond Supple Skin Oil quickly absorbs into your skin, giving it instant smoothness, firmness and hydration. Made with over 50% almond oil, your skin will benefit from rich omegas, leaving you feeling super silky after each use.
3. Re-apply your sunscreen: Keep your skin free from sunburns and dryness by re-applying your sunscreen frequently. Be particularly diligent on slightly overcast days to avoid surprise sunburn. For quick and easy re-application, opt for a spray sunscreen. Coola’s SPF 30 Unscented Sunscreen Spray is perfect if you don’t feel like letting the scent of sunscreen overpower your all day. Every time you spray this on your skin, you’ll benefit from nourishing ingredients like Cucumber, Algae, Strawberry Extracts and Red Raspberry Seed Oil. Rich in Omegas, your skin will feel smooth and protected against environmental damage.
4. Protect your pretty pout, too: Our often neglected lips need some SPF love, too. Keep them from chapping and peeling by using a lip balm with an SPF and re-applying as needed.CoTZ Lip Balm has a non-chemical SPF 45 and doesn’t contain Lanolin, Oils or Gluten. Your lips will be protected and moisturized all day long.
5. Get your feet sandal ready: Don’t let rough, callused heels get in the way of sandal-wearing season. Use a pumice stone to scrub away dry skin and then apply a moisturizing foot product to keep calluses at bay. Kneipp’s Healthy Feet Anti Callus Salve is made with Calendula extract and 25% Urea which softens the skin and protects it from dryness. Rosemary essential oils helps aid in circulation, giving your skin an invigorating boost upon application.
6. Fake your bake: If you’re looking to get a little color this spring, look for self-tanners instead of lying out in the sun or going to a tanning bed. Not only will you avoid exposing your skin to harmful UVA and UVB rays, but you’ll get the tan you want from the comfort of your home. For a beautiful tan that looks natural, try Million Dollar Tan Mermaid Mousse Extreme. This highly-rated tanning mousse gradually builds color while moisturizing your skin with vitamins.
Liz Cabrera is a skin care enthusiast who has worked at Planet Beauty for 10 years. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Writing from the University of California, Long Beach. She has a love for film, jazz and the Humor boards on Pinterest.